Welcome to the Churches of St. Paul and St. Michael
Welcome to Church of St. Paul
749 South Main Street
Zumbrota, MN 55992
Parish Office: (507) 732-5324
Fax: (507) 732-5347
The May 4, 1900 issue of the Zumbrota News reported “after nearly half a century of existence, Zumbrota is to have a Catholic church. Two lots have been secured on South Main Street, near L.T. Ward’s for the proposed edifice. Although no plans have been settled upon, the church will doubtless be erected this summer. Subscriptions will be received by Leo Schafer and M.H. Baskfield.”
The cornerstone for the Catholic Church was laid at the site of Main and Eighth Streets in 1900. This was the seventh church built in Goodhue county. It was entirely through the generosity and labor of Leo Schafer, M.H. Baskfield and F.G. Marvin that this church came into being. Other members at that time were James Norton (a harness maker), Charles Rabel (a butcher), Pat Lyons, Dr. Gerard, and Moritz Schafer families.
Church of St. Paul is a Christian Community dedicated to spiritual growth and the sharing of the love of God. We are committed to living Christ-filled lives through the word of God, prayer, education, service,ministry and evangelism.
Welcome to Church of St. Michael
451 5th Street Southwest
Pine Island, MN 55963
Parish Office: (507) 356-4280
Fax: (507) 356-2080
The original church of Saint Michael was built in 1878 in the center of Pine Island, MN. Originally the church was to be built in the country near the present cemetery. After much consultation and consideration it was decided that it would be beneficial to most people to build in Pine Island. On July 4, 1878 the cornerstone of the church was laid.
In August 1969 a groundbreaking ceremony was held at the site of the new church at 451 5th Street SW, Pine Island MN. The new church was dedicated on September 27, 1970. The old church was demolished in November 1970.
In 1978, we celebrated our 100th Anniversary.
On June 29, 2003 we celebrated our 125th Anniversary.
Today we have approximately 300 families in our parish.
Saint Michael’s Parish was founded in 1878 in Pine Island, Minnesota. Remembering our agricultural roots and nourished by the sacraments, we continue our journey as Christians responding to Christ and His call. Confronted with a multitude of choices in our materialistic society, we strive to:
• Develop a living faith
• Minister to the needs of others
• Foster love and care throughout the community
• Provide educational experiences for all
• Continue faithful stewardship of our land and other resources
Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and in unity with the parishes of the Archdiocese, we express and grow toward life in Christ through worship, education, service and action for social justice.