First, I want to thank you for your prayers while I was on a mission trip to Kitui, Kenya! I think of m...
Thank you for your prayers
October 19, 2014
Growing in our devotion to the Holy Angels
October 5, 2014
November has been dedicated to the Poor Souls.
November 16, 2019
June is dedicated to devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
June 16, 2018
Praised be Jesus Christ through Mary!
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ Jesus,
This past weekend we welcomed Fr. McCabe to our parishes. Please join me in welcoming Fr. McCabe!
This weekend we honor our fathers on Father’s Day. Remember to thank your father for life and prayer for him!
This month of June is dedicated to devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. This is a very special devotion that focuses on the love and compassion of the Heart of Jesus. Furthermore, the more we practice this devotion, the more we realize the treasures of God are given to us through the Sacred Humanity of Jesus! I encourage you to continue to strive to grow in this devotion as part of your personal friendship with Jesus.
The history of devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus dates back to apparitions of Jesus to a religious sister named St. Margaret Mary Alacoque from 1673-1675. Here is a brief history:
“In 1667, Jesus appeared to her (St. Margaret Mary) to strengthen her resolve to enter the convent and overcome her family’s pressure to marry. She entered the Sisters of the Visitation (founded by St. Francis de Sales) and on December 27, 1673 (the feast of the Beloved Disciple), Jesus appeared and told her to sit next to Him as the Beloved Disciple had done. Jesus revealed that His heart desired frequent Communion (especially on First Friday). He requested a feast of the Sacred Heart, asked for an image of His Sacred Heart, and gave the following 12 promises to those who practice this devotion:
1. I WILL GIVE THEM ALL THE GRACES NECESSARY FOR THEIR STATE OF LIFE.
2. I WILL GIVE PEACE IN THEIR FAMILIES.
3. I WILL CONSOLE THEM IN ALL THEIR TROUBLES.
4. THEY SHALL FIND IN MY HEART AN ASSURED REFUGE DURING LIFE AND ESPECIALLY AT THE HOUR OF DEATH.
5. I WILL POUR ABUNDANT BLESSINGS ON ALL THEIR UNDERTAKINGS.
6. SINNERS SHALL FIND IN MY HEART THE SOURCE AND INFINITE OCEAN OF MERCY.
7. TEPID SOULS SHALL BECOME FERVENT.
8. FERVENT SOULS SHALL SPEEDILY RISE TO GREAT PERFECTION.
9. I WILL BLESS THE HOMES IN WHICH THE IMAGE OF MY SACRED HEART SHALL BE EXPOSED AND HONORED.
10. I WILL GIVE TO PRIESTS THE POWER TO TOUCH THE MOST HARDENED HEARTS.
11. THOSE WHO PROPAGATE THIS DEVOTION SHALL HAVE THEIR NAME WRITTEN IN MY HEART, AND IT SHALL NEVER BE EFFACED.
12. I PROMISE THEE IN THE EXCESS OF THE MERCY OF MY HEART, THAT ITS ALL-POWERFUL LOVE WILL GRANT TO ALL THOSE WHO SHALL RECEIVE COMMUNION ON THE FIRST FRIDAY OF NINE CONSECUTIVE MONTHS THE GRACE OF FINAL REPENTANCE; THEY SHALL NOT DIE UNDER MY DISPLEASURE, NOR WITHOUT RECEIVING THE SACRAMENTS; MY HEART SHALL BE THEIR ASSURED REFUGE AT THAT LAST HOUR.” (Taken from: Building a Kingdom of Love by Msgr. John Esseff)
I urge all to practice devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary (the Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary is celebrated the day after the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart)! Jesus’ promises are real and they are filled with power and strength. I encourage all to ask Him for His mercy and to take up this glorious devotion to His Sacred Heart and devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary! Many of you have asked me to enthrone the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary in your homes.
Through the intercession of the Immaculate of Mary, the Chaste Heart of St. Joseph and our patrons, St. Michael and St. Paul, may the Sacred Heart of Jesus, truly present in the Holy Eucharist, pour out His blessings upon you, your families and our parishes!